HAIL BACK THE SEVEN
Metro-Goldwyn Mayer and Columbia Pictures relives on-screen the Great Men in Horses of the west and their immortal Legend. We were among the lucky few media in PH to catch a first glance of the year’s highly-anticipated movie. We left the huge IMAX theater in awe and ponder in disbelief. It earned each and everyone’s warm applause. I imagine how the creative team would work for a new sequel in decades to come. But certainly, this kind should innovate one more for the younger blood.
The Magnificent Seven is an American western action film directed by comic-book creator Antoine Fuqua. The western remake is said to saddle with original’s legacy, and perfectly tantamount its wit and notoriety. MS is a remake of the 1960 western film of the same name, which in turn was a remake of the 1954 Japanese film Seven Samurai. It is a remake of a classic Hollywood Western.
On set, Fuqua self-confessed fondness over Western pieces starts when he was a little boy. He would stay home all day watching them at home with his family. He discovered the genre at the age of 12 and has said that his grandmother was a key influence and inspiration in the remake (Wikipedia).
Being a crime action-film in nature, expect countless gun-playing & brave duels from opposing forces in pistols
WILD WILD BOYS IN THE WEST
Picture here of Seven gun men in the old west gradually come together to help a poor village against savage thieves
Fuqua worked to create a diverse cast by incorporating actors of color such as African-American Denzel Washington, Korean Byung-hun Lee and Mexican Manuel Garcia-Rulfo, as well as a woman (Haley Bennett). It’s a decision Fuqua says reflects historical reality more than it does any conscious attempt to update the story.
The best scene, I suppose is the climactic battle between the Seven and a small army led by tyrant leader Bogue. Report reveals it took barely a month to shoot such had since the weather was unfriendly.
- Chris Pratt as Josh Farraday, a gambler with a fondness for explosives. He first came to prominence from his television series roles. Pratt’s character was the toughest to find, but turns to be a wild card, and out of his menacing, but valiant in type – a crowd favorite.
- Ethan Hawke as Goodnight Robicheaux, a sharpshooter.Unlike the 1960 version, Hawke’s version is more haunted and mature.
- Vincent D’Onofrio as Jack Horne. He plays the gold mining baron who threatens the town that the titular group is protecting in the film.
- Byung-hun Lee as Billy Rocks, an assassin. The korean actor is known for performances as Storm Shadow in the two G.I. Joe movies.
- Manuel Garcia-Rulfo as Vasquez, a Mexican outlaw Manuel Garcia-Rulfo plays Vasquez (“the Outlaw”), a bandit, robber, and criminal who has been on the run for several months. He doesn’t have anything to lose because he has no family. He describes his character as someone who loves gunfighting
- Martin Sensmeier plays Red Harvest (“the Sharpshooter”), a native Comanche who is in pursuit of the remaining six. Sensmeier auditioned several times in order to get the role. The actor-model stayed off social media and studied immensely in order to portray his part.
- Haley Bennett as the lonely Emma Cullen. The gorgeous young widow teams with the Seven in quest of justice to her murdered husband
- Peter Sarsgaard as Bartholomew Bogue, a corrupt industrialist captain a group of marauding bandits and is equally effective in his villain role. (We dubbed him as Pinoy’s Dick Israel for his intimidating acting and looks)
- WEAR YOUR HUTS, YOUR BULLET-PROOFS,
- The macho film spews blood & triggers death, but not really gory, yet still not for the weak of hearts due to surprise elements. I highly recommend this film for mature members of the family. For better viewing in contrast with conventional cinema, rather watch it in a IMAX Theater, it’s super! you feel like you are a real part of the breath-taking, jaw dropping scenes, and blends well with the characters around the sun-drenched town in the old west setting.
- It’s a magnificent experience. You’ll gonna love the uncommon valor of the seven heroes of this $108 film.
- (Running time: 2 hours 13 minutes)/ photocredits: Columbia Pictures PH